Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Woo far and near

Princess Martha Louise of Norway believes she can read people's feelings and talk to angels. She has also opened the "Astarte Education Centre" (page is in Norwegian and I can't find an online translator) to promote alternative therapies. Fortunately for Norway, she's only fourth in line to the throne. At least she's not the heir apparent, unlike a certain well-known New-Ager and alt-med fan who is first in line to become titular Head of State of my country.

It's enough to make one become an anti-monarchist - until I look south and realize that electing one's HoS doesn't necessarily provide much quality assurance.

Much closer to home: a couple in Quebec are refusing chemotherapy for their 3yo son who has cancer of the brain and bone marrow, opting instead to feed him organic vegetables. Organic veggies are great (provided you understand the nutritional values -- like having beans with your cereal to complete the protein), but they're not a substitute for chemo. Regular readers of Respectful Insolence have seen Orac take on cancer alt-therapy woo before (specifically the Cherrix and Wernecke cases). I can almost see his lights blinking in medical indignation from here.....

Technorati picks up a link to the story from Be Lambic or Green (which appears to be written by a British ex-pat currently living in Montreal). What I find noteworthy is the very first comment -- posted a mere two hours after the original post -- making the predictable accusation that the blogger is a doctor in the pay of Big Pharma (a few mouse-clicks would have revealed that he is, in fact, a computer guy).

I'm jealous, though -- what do I have to do to attract some good cranks? That's what this blog really needs!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Holy cow! It's amazing what people can get away with when they have a little status and money.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I qualify as your wished-for crank, but I do feel somewhat cranky when I see your link to "Ottawa Brights". I don't have anything against atheists, but I'm not too happy with the implication that they are smarter than everyone else. While the atheists I know personally are rather clever, I have seen some on the Web who are not bright at all.
The "atheist superiority" thing, while an understandable reaction to absurd and unfair negative stereotypes of atheists, only escalates tensions with theists. I suggest that people who disagree on the existence of God engage in respectful dialogue rather than emotionally loaded language.